Saturday, March 26, 2011

A picture is worth... a lot

Today has been, to put it mildly, a rough day. I am so excited to be in Nicaragua and with Jorge that I can barely stand it. I was wondering how to make myself not so antsy during my 2.5 hour flight from Miami to Managua. Well...

As I'm buckling up for my first flight from Orlando to Miami, I get a call from American Airlines telling me my next flight is canceled. It was just a courtesy message in which they say, "Your flight has been canceled. We apologize for any inconvenience". That's it. Then if you want to know more, you have to call back. Who doesn't want to know more? So I called and got through to a l
ady right before my flight took off, and she basically just said I needed to re-book once I landed. (There was a big fire here in Miami yesterday in the place where they store fuel, so there is a huge shortage, and yea... they canceled several flights.)

When I landed, I went straight to the "re-booking center", where I was in line for 3.5 hours. During this time, I went over to the little kiosk and saw that they had already booked me for tomorrow morning's flight at 11:00am. I also called American Airlines and was told the same thing and that I was also on standby for a flight at 7:00pm tonight, but that I still needed to wait at the counter because they had the most "up to date" information. Meanwhile, the counter lady keeps going up and down the line giving their 1-80
0 number out, asking people to call because "it will expedite the process", but when we called the number, they told us to wait in line.... you can see how insanely frustrating this all was for everybody involved.

Once I finally made it to the counter, you can imagine how tired, distraught and over all this I was, and yet I mustered up every ounce of politeness I could for the counter airline agent guy. I felt bad for these people because this wasn't their fault at all, and you can just imagine the type of angry customer they dealt with one after another. Well, this guy had just come on the scene one customer ahead of me, and was just starting his shift, so he had no idea about the frustration we had all been going through up to that point. He was extremely rude to me and basically just barked sarcasm at me until I sulked away. He told me absolutely nothing new except that oh yea, nobody knows where my bag is, and as he said, "The party line is that it will eventually end up where your final destination is, but nobody knows when". Hmmm. Well. And of course they're not giving any meal/hotel vouchers, because this was "not AA's fault". You can bet people did not have nice reactions to that message every time it was relayed.

(Since no men read this I can also throw in there that about two hours into waiting in line, I got my period. And all my tampons except two are in my checked bag. Which is nowhere to be found. So I had to go buy 4 for $4. Ridiculous.)

So by this time I was pretty sad. Not only did I have to wait in a 3.5 hour line for basically nothing, but it was 1:30 when I got out of the line, which is the exact time my flight should have been landing and I should have been with Jorge. So I at least got to skype with him a little bit and explain what happened (luckily I had caught him this morning right as he was about to leave for the airport to come get me) and it was nice to have the distraction for a while. He suggested we play games to put me in a better mood, and so I beat him at Hangman a bunch and then we played checkers, where he was about to beat me for the 100th time, so he quickly closed the game and said "Let's stop playing this. This was supposed to put you in a better mood :)."

I then went to get some grub, as I hadn't eaten all day. I had a delicious caesar salad and a slice of stuffed pizza. Then I decided to try to sleep for a little bit. It is waaaay too cold in airports for me, so laying s
till on the floor made me feel like I was going to freeze to death. Then it was about time to head to the gate for the 7:00 flight. I passed by a blanket/pillow kiosk and made a mental note that I would definitely need to buy a blanket if I was going to be in this for the long haul, because I spent the night at the Atlanta airport one night, and I couldn't sleep the entire night because I was too cold.

Then I sat through the entire boarding of that flight only to not get on, which was not a surprise at all, as they had overbooked the flight by four people and had to ask for volunteers to wait until tomorrow t
o fly. All this time, I was desperately trying to find a TV to watch the Gator basketball game, the one could-be highlight of the day, and I couldn't find one! Every TV was on, but I couldn't locate one with basketball. That is, until the game went into overtime and I saw a couple of TSA workers doing nothing, of course, except watching TV and shouting at it. I realized the game was on over there and went over just in time to see that last horrible minute, where they lost because they played dumb. That's when I decided this was officially A BAD DAY. As Jorge said, it's one of those days I'll always remember, and when someone says, "What was the worst day you've ever had?" and lots of people say, "I can't really remember one", I will definitely be able to think of one. (Although I cant' say this is the WORST day of my life. It's not been fun, but it could definitely be much, much worse.)

Then I decided it was time to start "settling down" for the night, so I went and bought a blanket, two bags of m&ms (each one says it's a "sharing size", but I still bought two :)), some beef jerky for Jorge, and a smoothie. (Just to add more dramatic flair to my day, when I was at the cash register ready to order my smoothie at Haagendaz, the worker said, "Who's next?" and this lady [in a missionary t-shirt, might I add] stepped right around me and ordered what she wanted! This other girl and I just stared at her, and I think had I not been so beaten down/spit on/kicked in the ass by these American Airlines people, I would have said
something to her.) I have already spent an unbelievable amount of money at the airport today, but I decided these were essentials. I then, like a homeless person searching for the best spot under a dumpy old bridge, found where I will be hunkering down for the night: close to an outlet, TV, bookstore, bathroom, and Starbucks. I've got everything I'll need for the night :)

And now I leave you with what's been getting me through this difficult day:






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you finally made it there safe today! I will get Skype set up this week and will email you my details before Wednesday! Hope you two are enjoying your time together!